Preparing for a Career in Seattle’s Emergency Dispatch Centers
County and city police and emergency respond firms seek individuals who are able to efficiently interact and assist those in need of assistance.
The following 911 dispatcher training and accreditation programs will include things like:.
- Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) consisting of CPR and childbirth
- Fire and Police Dispatching
- CritiCall Telecommunicator Testing System
- Critical Incident Management
- Tension Management and Critical Incident Stress Management
- Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) Certification
- Crisis Intervention Team
- Homeland Security
- Computer system Aided Dispatching (CAD) Technology
- Motorola CAD
- Tri-Tech CAD
- Intergraph Public Safety CAD
Educational Options for Emergency Dispatch Personnel In Seattle
Although there are no specific requirements for someone to become a 911 dispatcher in Seattle, just recently there was a bill passed which will make minimum training readily available to candidates statewide. While this is not compulsory, the state needs that the training still be readily available to those who wish to benefit from it.
There are several wonderful programs offered at universities, neighborhood colleges, and technical institutes that can become really helpful in prepping prospects for 911 dispatch work. That is why a college degree can ensure that a prospect will stand apart from the rest of the crowd. Programs such as:
- Bachelors of Science in Psychology
- Coursework in Information Technology
- Bachelor’s degrees in Communications
- Bachelor’s degrees in Psychology.
Seattle Job Outlook
The Seattle criminal activity rate has steadily increased over the last numerous years. In 2010, it was tape-recorded that the violent criminal activity rate was 10% higher than he nationwide average, and the poverty criminal offense rate had to do with 25% higher than the national average. In 2013, Seattle had a state population of about 2,900,000, and a year-to-date combined overall of 124,424 violent and home criminal activities committed. This comes out to approximately 42 crimes per 1,000 locals. For this reason, qualified 911 dispatchers are constantly in need.
IN previous couple years, Seattle has been witness to a variation in the variety of 911 calls dialed. In 2000 there were 17,659 emergency calls reported. This grew in 2003, where there were about 21,341 emergency calls positioned. In 2010, this number reached a record low of 16,538 emergency calls.
Presently there are about 6,420 911 dispatchers employed across Seattle. They work to ensure that emergency circumstances are correctly and expertly managed. In a great deal of the city specialty, who a 911 dispatchers work for is divided into two groups; the authorities departments and the fire and emergency medical service departments. In parts of Seattle’s urban centers, where one may discover a huge resident population, emergency dispatch services are merged under a central public interaction center.
911 Operator Career Requirements In Seattle
Some requirements that a person might encounter as an Emergency Communications Operator in Seattle include:
- Ability to learn NCIC codes and treatments.
- Ability to learn location of the territory.
- 6 months sending and receiving radio transmissions.
- Ability to work night shifts, weekends, holidays and overtime.
- Ability to pass a drug test
There are local, national, and global companies in place which set the requirements for 911 dispatch representatives. In Seattle these organizations are called:
- The Seattle NENA. This group works to set requirements and increase the efficiency of emergency dispatch in the state of Seattle.
- The National Emergency Number Association. This group works to set requirements in the 9-1-1 emergency number field on a nationwide level.
- The International Academies of Emergency Dispatch. This group works to set international standards as it connects to emergency calls.
If you would like to know more info on ending up being a 911 dispatch agent in Seattle, it would probably be a great idea to have a look at what a few of these organizations have to state.